Monday, April 6, 2009

Garden

This year I put in more raised beds - and tire stacks for potatoes. Usually we wait until mid May to put in plants and seeds - only because the ground is frozen or wet up until that point - it all depends on the weather and when my DH can get out the tiller. I thought with more raised beds I could put seeds in sooner. I did get the beds in and put in seeds - and now it is going to snow. Inches of snow. Hmph!*&$%!!! I had one raised bed already there - I grow garlic in that and this year added asparagus. I like to try a different veggie each year. Some work out well and some don't. Like the year I planted carrots and they came up like grass ;) Kinda planted them too close. Or the year I planted radishes and they tasted like fire! Radishes need lots of water ;) Live and learn I guess - I do a lot of the latter.

I'm planting peas this year - I will freeze the peas and the rabbits love the vines - it's a win/win.

I covered the beds and tires with plastic and added a bit of bunny poop before I put the plastic on - hoping that it won't get so hot that it cooks my 'taters but keeps it warm enough to get thru the cold snap. Wish me luck ;0)

Garden Humor
  • The best way to garden is to put on a wide brimmed straw hat and some old clothes. And with a hoe in one hand and a cold drink in the other, tell somebody else where to dig.
  • Compost is best aged a little like a fine wine. I mean, would you prefer to drink a nice 97, or something that was made last Thursday.
  • When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
  • A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.
  • Spring does not arrive until the ice is out of the compost heap.
  • Winter does not arrive until the ice is IN the compost. Until then, all bets are off.
  • Any self respecting rock will break at least one shovel before accepting its new home.
  • Gardening requires a lot of water most of it in the form of perspiration.